Aims/priorities: The aim of the Foundation is to help charities and other organisations that support serving and former members of the British Armed Forces, and sometimes their dependants, who are in need.
A potential, qualified beneficiary “in need” is one or all of the following:
- At a disadvantage compared with non-armed forces citizens due to their service.
- Someone who is suffering from challenges such as the following: unemployment, homelessness, mental and physical ill-health, injuries, poor welfare, old age, a child's loss of parent, addiction and lack of education.
- Grants should bring benefit to beneficiaries collectively and/or individually; they provide a hand up, not a handout.
Who can apply? All registered charities and other organisations that support the Armed Forces community (veterans, those serving and immediate dependants), including seafaring veterans who have served on operations, can apply.
Eligible organisation types include:
- Not-for-profit organisations, including CICs limited by guarantee.
- Community projects.
Priority is given to charities and organisations who can demonstrate that they are directly involved in the provision of support to those in need, as well as well-run organisations of low to medium wealth.
Grant amount: The following grants are available:
- Grants up to £30,000. Trustees will also consider a bid for a spread grant up to a maximum of £30,000 (ie, £30,000 as £10,000 for each of the next two or three years).
- Grants up to £40,000 for the exclusive use on salaries over a two-year period may be awarded, ie, £40,000 as £20,000 for each of the next two years. In some cases, the grant award may be limited to one year and grantees will be asked to reapply at a later date for the second year of funding.
The Foundation tends to award more small grants than large grants.
Application process: Guidance notes and the application form can be found on the Veterans' Foundation website.
Deadline: Friday 26 August 2022.
Contact information: Email: email@example.com
Website: Home | Veterans' Foundation