Aims/priorities: The funding is intended to help tackle social issues by enabling sustainable enterprises to test new business models, with potential to scale in future. This is funding for an idea that may lead to an impact investment fund, not development funding for individual social enterprises.
Priority will be given to the following:
- Social impact investment ideas with the greatest potential to have a transformative impact on a social issue at scale.
- Ideas with potential for replication and scaling where a fund (or similar structure that can bring together a variety of investors and multiple enterprises) is part of the solution.
- Charities and social enterprises who have already identified a fund manager to work with.
Big Society Capital's mission means that it can only support ideas where there is a potential route for social investment to be part of the solution applicants are trying to address. Though open to the issues being tackled and the route to get there, applicants must be able to demonstrate a plausible path/ thesis for a social investment as part of the solution.
Examples of eligible projects include:
- Changing a part of the existing investment system that does not work.
- Bringing together partners in new ways.
- Aligning the needs of charities, social enterprises and investors with a solution that is more effective than those currently available.
Who can apply? Applications will be accepted from fund managers, charities and social enterprises based in the UK.
Grant amount: Between £15,000 and £30,000 for their project, depending on its stage of development.
Application process: Guidance notes and the online application form can be found at the Big Society Capital website.
Deadline: 1 March 2021 (noon)
Contact information: Tel 020 7186 2500, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Website address: Ideas for impact | Big Society Capital