Aims/priorities: Benefact Trust (formerly known as Allchurches Trust) is offering grants to Christian charities and organisations throughout the United Kingdom and Ireland to provide increased mental health support for people and communities in need regardless of faith.
The Brighter Lives Mental Health Programme will enable Christian churches, cathedrals, denominational bodies, and charities to respond to the mental health crisis exacerbated by COVID-19 through greater training, resources, and support.
Funding is for projects that:
- Support existing or emerging specialist services provided by churches and Christian charities for people struggling with mental health issues. Focus is on the most vulnerable who may struggle to access support elsewhere, such as counselling or similar therapeutic services which could be delivered in-person, online, or by phone.
- Enable Christian organisations to train, equip, and resource churches and Christian charities to provide:
- Enhanced mental health awareness and/or mental health first aid.
- Appropriate mental health and wellbeing support groups and services.
- Support personal mental health and wellbeing of clergy and other church leaders/workers who may be suffering, particularly post-pandemic.
Funding can be used for capital costs, such as the adaption of buildings and the purchase of equipment, or revenue costs, such as staff costs, training costs, volunteer expenses, and the development of resources and training materials. Costs must be necessary and justified primarily to deliver any proposed activities.
Who can apply? Churches, cathedrals, Christian denominational bodies and Christian charities can apply. Churches will normally need to be part of a denomination that is a member of Churches Together in England or the equivalent in Scotland, Wales, and Ireland, or belong to a local ecumenical ‘churches together’ group.
Grant amount: Not specified. The Trust does not normally fund the total cost of a project. Applicants should have a minimum of 30% of the total project costs secured before they apply.
Application process: Guidance notes and an online application form are available from the Benefact Trust website. The Trust aims to respond to applications within three months of the date of receipt.
Deadline: There are no deadlines. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis while funding is still available.
Contact information: Tel: 01452 873189 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org