Biffa Award - Partnership Grants Scheme

Biffa Award logo


  • The Built Environment theme aims to restore, modernise and improve facilities such as cultural, heritage or visitor centres to engage and encourage tourists and/or day visitors. The facility should be inclusive and inspire and promote learning, creativity and participation.
  • The Natural Environment theme aims to restore or improve the environment and the natural systems or habitats that support it. Projects must be working to Biodiversity 2020: a strategy for England’s wildlife and ecosystem services , its successor, or a Local Biodiversity Action Plan target.

Who can apply? Not-for-profit organisations in England and Northern Ireland can apply.

Applicants must:

  • Enrol with ENTRUST as an Environmental Body to access funding. An administrative fee of £100 is payable to ENTRUST for this.
  • Be located within 15 miles of a significant Biffa operation or active Biffa Landfill site.
  • Be located within 10 miles of any licensed landfill site (not necessarily owned by Biffa Group Limited) in England and Northern Ireland.
  • Have a project site open for a minimum of 104 days of full public access to the project per year.
  • Have, if not the landowner, a signed landowner agreement in place agreeing to access for maintenance, surveying and monitoring for a period of not less than 25 years.
  • Have a management plan in place for the key species/habitat(s) involved for each site, if applying for a Natural Environment themed grant.
  • Applicants should check their project location's eligibility using Biffa Awards Postcode Checker which can be found on the Biffa Award's website.
  • Groups and their projects must be eligible for enrolment and registration with the scheme regulator ENTRUST. There will be conditions of any grant approved.

Grant amount: Grants of between £250,000 and £750,000 are available for work that starts in February 2023 and finish within one year.

Applications can be made for 100% of the projects costs; however, only 90% of the grant can be paid by Biffa Award using Landfill Tax Credits. The remaining 10% needs to be provided by another source (third party contribution).

Application process: There is a two-stage application process in place. Applicants should check the eligibilty of their project using the postcode checker on the Biffa Award website and, if eligible, will then be able complete the online expression of interest form.

Groups that are successful at this initial stage will be invited to submit a full application.

Deadline: Wednesday 1 June 2022

Contact Information:

Grants Team

Biffa Award
The Wildlife Trusts
The Kiln, Waterside
Mather Road
Newark, Notts
NG24 1WT
Tel: 01636 670000

Website address

over £25,000
Charitable Company
Constituted Group
Registered Charity
Social Enterprise
Unconstituted Group
Funding Theme: 
Unpublish Date: 
Wednesday, 1 June, 2022