Adullam Homes Housing Association is part of Tameside’s homeless prevention strategy. We work with adults who are at risk of homelessness and support them in obtaining and managing their own tenancy. Adullam uses the coaching model to help individuals live independently and unlock their potential
When can volunteers volunteer? Weekly
This grid shows when you can volunteer for this organisation. E.G Monday morning.
| Tasks the volunteer will be required to do:
• To attend Peer Mentor Training
• To be matched with a service user & build up trusting relationship
• To listen and discuss any issues and concerns with your matched service user.
• To establish what goals and changes your matched service user wants to achieve in their life and assist them plan this in order to achieve the desired outcome
• To accompany service users at doctor, hospital, job centre appointments when appropriate
• To Identify, encourage and assist service users to access social groups
• To identify and enable service users to access a range of informal / formal training
• To help service users make phone calls by actively encouraging and prompting
• To assist service users to develop basic skills to enable them to become more independent, such as using a mobile phone, kitchen appliances, how to take a meter reading, where to access the internet etc
• To act as a role model and develop professional boundaries
Skill and Qualifications Required:
• Non judgemental
• Good Listener
• Good Communication skills
• Team work
Knowledge & Experience
Relevant life experience you have overcome and are able to use motivate and challenge negative lifestyles. For example, relationship breakdown; homelessness; mental health issues; substance misuse; being a single parent or experiencing bereavement. Or have previous experience working with vulnerable clients.
• A willingness to use public / own transport to our service users
• At least a six month commitments – minimum 4 hours a week
Areas of Interest: Community, Education, Ex-offenders, Housing, Mental Health, Social Welfare
Opportunity suitable for: Indoor, Long term commitment, Older people, People seeking work
What activities will the volunteer do? Administration, Mentoring, Providing advice, Research, Support Work
Skills gained in this role: Organising, Talking to others, Teamwork
Home based opportunity? No
DBS Check Required: Yes
Opportunity Accessibility: Clearly marked accessible parking spaces
About the host organisation
Hosted by: Adullum Homes Housing Association Ltd.
Organisation Profile: People from all walks of life can experience vulnerability at some point in their lives.
Adullam Homes is committed to providing shelter and support. To assist residents and service users we provide tailored support programmes, based on an individuals’ need, which enables residents to improve their quality of life and live independently.
In delivering high quality planned support residents gain confidence, learn to maintain their tenancy and gain budgeting skills which equips them with the necessary skills to fulfil their potential.
Alongside this we encourage and develop peer mentoring so that residents can share their stories of hope with others; accompanied by the learning, training and employment programmes, work placements and job opportunities we offer through matt25, we seek to restore hope and dignity.