Healthwatch Rochdale are currently recruiting volunteers to join our existing board members in the development and management of the strategic running of the organisation.
The Board does three main things:
• Makes sure that Healthwatch meets its legal obligations – we have to operate in line with company law as well as use or legal powers in the best interests of local people;
• Makes sure that Healthwatch does what it is being paid to deliver – our funding agreement contains detailed information about the services that Healthwatch must provide;
• Agrees how we will set our priorities – the staff team is responsible for our day to day work but the Board is responsible for setting the overall work areas and the policies and procedures the staff team will follow.
Duration: Time limited
When can volunteers volunteer? Monthly
This grid shows when you can volunteer for this organisation. E.G Monday morning.
| Tasks the volunteer will be required to do:
We expect Board members to be committed to good quality health and care services for people in Rochdale. In addition to this, there are some specific expectations:
• Attendance and participation in Board meetings – approximately one board meeting a month plus subcommittees quarterly.
• Preparation for Board meetings – reading the papers before the meeting and asking for more information if they need it.
• Participation in Board training and development activities.
• Acting as an ambassador for Healthwatch – including respecting and representing the Board’s agreed position on a range of topics.
• Always acting selflessly, in the best interests of Healthwatch, in line with standards of accountability in public life.
Skill and Qualifications Required:
Healthwatch Rochdale are currently looking for people with the below previous experiences:
• Commissioning or delivering health and/or social care services or public services partially within a health and social care environment.
• Running an information or advice service for members of the public.
• Experience of managing domiciliary care or residential/nursing home services.
• Management or leadership of a voluntary organisations or social enterprise.
• Experience of working with children and/or young people.
• Strategic management of a large organisations.
• Community engagement with residents to enable their experiences to influence policy and service delivery
• People who live and/or use health and care services in Rochdale plus members of organisations (including public and private sectors and voluntary, community and social enterprises) active in Rochdale.
Areas of Interest: Community, Finance, Health and safety, Legal
What activities will the volunteer do? Trusteeship
Skills gained in this role: Leadership
Home based opportunity? No
DBS Check Required: Yes
Opportunity Accessibility: Step free access clearly signposted into the building, Lift to other floors / step free access throughout the building, Accessible toilets
About the host organisation
Hosted by: Healthwatch Rochdale
Organisation Profile: Who we are and what we do?
We are the independent champion for people who use health and social care services. We’re here to make sure that those running services, put people at the heart of care.
Our sole purpose is to understand the needs, experiences and concerns of people who use health and social care services and to speak out on their behalf.
We focus on ensuring that people’s worries and concerns about current services are addressed.
We work to get services right for the future.
How we work?
We are here to listen to what you like about services and what you think could be improved. No matter how big or small the issue, we want to hear about it.
Where possible, we will let you know when changes are planned to services in our community and help you have a say. We will also encourage those in charge of local care to involve you when changes are being planned to services.
You can also speak to us to find information about health and social care services available locally.
People's views come first - especially those who find it hardest to be heard.
We champion what matters to you and work with others to find ideas that work. We are independent and committed to making the biggest difference to you.