Next meeting of the Oldham Poverty Action Group will be held on 17 November 2021. between 11.00am and 1.00pm To book your place please see our events page.
The Poverty Action Group meets with the overall aim to reduce the impact of poverty on the most vulnerable people in the borough of Oldham and in doing so support individuals, families, and communities to move from poverty to financial inclusion. It was set up in March 2013 as a result of action points that emerged from the Poverty to Financial Inclusion event in October 2012 and follow-up discussions in February 2013.
Overall aim of the Oldham Poverty Action Group
The Poverty Action Group meets with the overall aim to reduce the impact of poverty on the most vulnerable people in the borough of Oldham and in doing so support individuals, families and communities to move from poverty to financial inclusion.
- Share information through meetings, the email group and events in order to best equip voluntary, community, faith and social enterprise (VCFSE) groups to meet their own priorities
- Collect intelligence of what is really happening for people
- Recognise that poverty is an issue in all communities
- Identify areas where collective action is needed and suggest solutions
- Campaign where appropriate for changes that effect the most vulnerable people
- Link in to appropriate statutory bodies and in order to highlight issues, look for solutions in partnership and have an impact
- Link in with Greater Manchester organisations that are tackling poverty in order to gain a broader perspective and learn about possible solutions
- Work closely with the Cooperative Council agenda to ensure that poverty across the borough is addressed
- Offer a supportive environment for all those involved by sharing experiences, identifying problems and solutions
The Poverty Action Group (PAG) is made up of representatives from the Voluntary, Community, Faith, Social Enterprise (VCFSE), Statutory, Public, Business and Private sector. All contributors are welcome. It is co-ordinated and serviced by Action Together and the work undertaken has to reflect the capacity of all those involved. The focus of the work is on the various districts across the borough. PAG links in with key decision-making bodies in Oldham, as well as regional & national initiatives where appropriate. The majority of the work is carried out at PAG meetings and through the email group. Members give resources in time and ‘kind’ e.g. venues for meetings.
Roles and responsibilities
The group is not a constituted group and aims to meet every bi-monthly subject to agreement by group members.
Membership of the group is open to anyone from a VCFSE or public/statutory/ Business and Private sector organisations that is involved in supporting vulnerable people in Oldham or who have particular skills around poverty and change.
The meetings are chaired and minuted by Action Together.
Action Together gather insight from the meetings, emails and events and share these insights at the Oldham Strategic boards such as Oldham Councils Equality Advisory Group and Oldham Councils Poverty Steering Group as well as other boards. Action Together gather evidence as to impact measured against agreed priorities through an annual action plan.
There is no specific budget for the group. Members can offer resources in time, knowledge, skills and venues for meetings and events.