On 13 September, partners across Greater Manchester launched ‘GM Moving in Action’ our new 10 year strategy; Active Lives for All.
Over 2,000 people across the Greater Manchester system have engaged in conversations about what matters to them to help in shaping the new GM Moving strategy.
GM Moving doesn’t belong to a single organisation, it’s a collective strategy, it’s everyone in Greater Manchester working together with the ambition to encourage people to get moving for a happier, healthier, more connected Greater Manchester and good lives for all.
GM Moving in Action has five key commitments:
- To enable active lives for all - People, families, communities growing up, getting on, growing old in GM.
- To widen access and participation – In sport, physical activity, walking, active travel and keeping moving at home and in the community.
- To design active places – Working together in place and designing for active environments.
- To increase system integration– Putting people’s physical and mental wellbeing central; tackling inequalities; contributing to stronger, more inclusive communities and economy; playing our part for a greener, more sustainable city region.
- To reframe moving as the norm –Making moving a normal part of everyday life for all - whoever, wherever and whatever their way, the day, time or weather.
Its ultimate ambition is Active Lives for all across Greater Manchester. Prior to Covid-19 Greater Manchester had achieved record levels of physical activity, and hit the 2021 target of 73% of people fairly active or active. However, our city region has been hit hard by the pandemic. Data released in April 2021 by Sport England, reveals a downturn in adult activity levels. Latest official statistics show Greater Manchester has higher inactivity levels than the England averages, with more than one-in-four (31.1%) adults active for less than 30 minutes a week, despite about 30 minutes a day recommended.
Find out more and view the strategy, visit the GM Moving website.
Partners are being invited and welcomed to join in the conversation on twitter #GMMovinginAction; share their hopes for the next 10 years of GM Moving and how they will be contributing to Active Lives for all.